Alabama A&M University Historic Collection
The Alabama A&M University Collection is a photo gallery of people, sites, and historic buildings once on the campus of Alabama A&M University. Currently, we are in the process of collecting photos of all previous buildings that have contributed at one time or another to the school's earlier history. Although some of the buildings in the photos below may no longer stand on the campus, with this virtual gallery we hope to remember them forever.
View historic photos below.
W.C. Handy-Father of Blues at A&M
William Christopher Handy, the Father of Blues, was the Music Director at Alabama A&M from 1900-1902.
This photo shows Handy (front left) with the school's band.
Alabama A&M first owned property
Alabama A&M original site was located off of Clinton Ave. downtown Huntsville, Alabama.
Green Bottom Inn
The Green Bottom Inn was one of the first hostelries in Alabama. Built in 1815 by the owner and Revolutionary War soldier, John Connelly, he would entertain many political figures including three United States Presidents: James K. Polk, James Monroe, and Andrew Jackson.
Later, Green Bottom Inn became the home of W. H. Councill, and would be the designated home for presidents leading Alabama A&M College until 1931, when the inn burned. Today, the only remnants that remain is the inn's wall.
Photos courtesy of Alabama A&M University Archives